Over Spanned Floor Joists
Dealing with bouncy, uneven floors at your home is not only annoying but also potentially hazardous. One common culprit behind this issue is over spanned floor joists, often lurking unseen in your crawl space.
Maintaining the structural integrity of your home is a top priority, and that includes repairing any problems with floor joists. Foundation Systems of Michigan excels in delivering exceptional crawl space repair solutions for over spanned floor joists through our SettleStop™ IntelliJack™ Crawl Space Jacks.
Learn about over spanned floor joists, including their origins and repair methods and why Foundation Systems of Michigan is the trusted choice for crawl space repairs throughout Michigan.
What Are Over Spanned Floor Joists?
Over spanned floor joists happen when the horizontal beams, or joists, that uphold your floor are too widely spaced or lack the strength to bear the floor’s weight, jeopardizing your floor’s structural integrity.
These insufficiently supported joists weaken the floor system, leading to several issues, including:
- Sagging floors
- Bouncy floors
- Uneven floors
- Potential tripping
- Vibrating furniture
- Squeaking sounds
- Cracks in drywall on walls and ceilings
- Gaps between walls and floors
- Sticking doors and windows
Ensuring a proper joist span is vital to keeping your floors stable, secure, and able to bear the weight of your household and activities. Quick intervention is needed to correct this issue to prevent further complications.
What Causes Over Spanned Floor Joists?
Numerous factors can lead to the issue of over spanned floor joists, such as:
- Moisture: Humidity and wetness in crawl spaces can distort and weaken wooden joists.
- Pests: Insects like ants or termites can consume joist materials, reducing their structural capacity.
- Foundation Shifts: Alterations or damage in the foundation can distribute uneven stress across the joists.
- Building Errors: Sometimes, a house might be built with joists that are too far apart, resulting in insufficient support.
- Aging: Over time, floors and joists may degrade without adequate extra support.
Identifying and repairing these causes promptly is important to prevent lasting harm and ensure your home’s structural resilience. Routine inspections and upkeep can spot issues early, potentially saving significant expense and effort.
Can You Fix Over Spanned Floor Joists?
Absolutely, it’s possible to repair over spanned floor joists, and it’s imperative to do so quickly to avoid further damage and guarantee the safety of your home.
Short-term fixes such as sistering joists or installing makeshift posts often fall short of providing a lasting solution for a compromised floor. Resorting to DIY or store-bought remedies can be ineffective and costly in the long run.
A thorough strategy is required to repair over spanned floor joists correctly, ensuring the entire flooring system is uniformly supported. Foundation Systems of Michigan offers an assortment of solutions tailored to give the necessary support and stability, stopping additional issues and safeguarding your home’s structural integrity for the future.
How Foundation Systems of Michigan Repairs Over Spanned Floor Joists
Our experts take these steps to effectively correct over spanned floor joists:
- Conduct a thorough inspection of the crawl space to identify the damage and the most suitable repair strategy.
- Trim steel IntelliJack™ supports to the right size for your crawl space.
- Install a solid concrete footing within the crawl space.
- Assemble the IntelliJack™ components, attaching them to the footing and floor joist.
- Fine-tune the support jack to secure and potentially elevate the floors.
- Implement crawl space waterproofing with proper drainage and sump pump installation.
- Seal off vents and update doors.
- Insulate the crawl space walls.
- Encapsulate the crawl space with a resilient vapor barrier.
- Control humidity with a dehumidifier.
- Provide ongoing maintenance to guarantee the effectiveness of the installed systems.
Foundation Systems of Michigan’s unique solutions are specifically engineered to tackle your specific crawl space issues, surpassing alternative products and delivering optimal outcomes for your home.
Why Address Over Spanned Floor Joists Now
Taking immediate action to fix over spanned floor joists is crucial for several reasons:
- Stop Further Damage: Early repairs prevent more severe damage and prolong the life of your home’s structure.
- Safety: Ensuring a firm floor structure is paramount for your family’s safety.
- Home Value: Repairing structural concerns can help preserve and potentially enhance your home’s market value.
- Cost-Saving: Early intervention can prevent more extensive, expensive repairs down the line.
Place your trust in Foundation Systems of Michigan and our proprietary, customized products to thoroughly resolve over spanned floor joists. Our solutions are crafted to provide effective and lasting support for your home.
Contact Foundation Systems of Michigan for Reliable Crawl Space Repair Solutions
Don’t ignore sagging and uneven floors. Foundation Systems of Michigan is your answer for addressing over spanned floor joists.
Reach out to Foundation Systems of Michigan today for a free inspection and to discuss repair alternatives. Our specialists can devise a robust stabilization approach to properly support your floors for the long haul. Initiate the first step towards securing the stability and safety of your home.
The timeframe for repairing over spanned floor joists depends on the severity of the damage, the size of the affected area, and the selected repair method. Foundation Systems of Michigan’s experienced crews aim to minimize inconvenience and complete repairs promptly. A detailed timeline will be provided during your free inspection visit.
Fixing over spanned floor joists on your own is not advised due to the potential risks to your home’s stability and personal safety. Professional assistance guarantees quicker, more reliable, and superior-quality repairs, as well as your peace of mind. Contact Foundation Systems of Michigan for a free inspection and repair consultation.
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
5985 Clay Avenue SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
32985 Schoolcraft Road
Livonia, MI 48150
2817 Bond St.
Rochester Hills, MI 48309
5555 Airport Hwy
Toledo, OH 43615
3805 Elmers Industrial Drive
Traverse City, MI 49685